Friday, November 4, 2016

On The Election



Readers know that the scope of my blog is not to meddle in politics but to follow a spiritual line. All my adult life I have either been married to or related to people who came from other countries.  They have kept me aware of how important American values are and how they should be protected, so I am deviating slightly this time. I am not endorsing candidates nor trying to create influence, but I am looking at a phenomenon named by the Sept.10 issue of The Economist as “post-truth” politics, which describes circumstances where facts and truthfulness have no relevance, only the reinforcement of ideas and inventions that “feel true,” with no evidences to back them up. These politics are emphasized by the  use of language that excites some voters and plays to their fears, biases and hatreds. With the current lack of trust in the political system, “post-truth” politics discourages voters from bothering to find facts and evidences and drives them into believing in magical thinking and outright lies. There is always some major fibbing taking place in politics; we all know this, but “post-truth” politics goes way beyond the pale and endangers the very openness of our democratic system as it silences opponents.

Many of us tend to sit out elections that are too confusing or downright odious in tone, as this one is, but I am urging us not do this. I urge all spiritual thinkers to be open to Infinite Guidance as we seek discovery on right information and right choices. To push against the barrage of disinformation and actual, heated, excitable lies takes effort and engagement in the political process, which is the right and duty of every citizen.

I am writing to American voters at this point, but the meanings are clear to voters in other countries.  Please…do not skip this election. Please make as much discovery as you can and vote. This election is too important to overlook.

1 comment: