Tuesday, December 5, 2017

On a Second Home



We all need a second home, a place where we can kick back and find a little relief from life’s demands, and some of us actually do manage to own a second property---a home or a cabin perhaps. The rest of us find an agreeable spot where we can hang out for awhile and just enjoy the surroundings, knowing there is no upkeep required of us. Mine is a cozy restaurant nestled in my comfortable neighborhood and is what I call a breakfast version of “Cheers,” although it is available for all three daily meals. It is where I enjoy breakfast on most days, and it is usually teeming with activity.

"The land of nerds and nuts"...

For a provincial neighborhood haunt, it can sport some very interesting characters. To be sure, most of its denizens are middle-class types, but I do remember a guy one time who came in with a parrot on his shoulder. I don’t think he ever came back, but that was ok because either he---or the parrot---was a little ripe up close! The regulars are not really surprised at occasional, colorful, visitors because, after all, this is a part of California’s Bay Area west coast, as a friend of mine liked to say, “the land of nerds and nuts.” Some of the regulars are so predictable that, the minute they come through the door, the staff begins to set out their daily fare before they even order, and how wonderful is it to have a steaming latte’ at your place as you sit down!

A subtle mixture of life's themes...

I think what makes this place home to me is a subtle mixture of life’s themes that stir in the background, familiar strains and movements that gather ‘round me, no matter how I may be feeling, and believe me, when some nights are dark and lonely, the next morning it is deeply encouraging to walk into a place where everybody knows your name…

http://More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

You might enjoy "On Marriage and Families." 

No comments:

Post a Comment