Tuesday, May 8, 2018

About Add-ons







Normally this is not a subject that I would include in a blog, especially since my child-rearing days are way far behind me, but I recently heard a pair of young friends idly talking about increasing their family. I heard them say, “Well, we already have Roddy. Maybe we should give him a brother or sister.” Now I know these two to be busy with work, activities and finding time for their young son, and I thought to myself: “Oh, no, new brothers and sisters are NOT add-ons!” It is not wise to add a second child to a household as if it were a second backpack! More children bring a whole new character to a family and 100% more effort! Not a little bit more but 100% more because of the unanticipated vigor and demands of a whole, new, growing person.

A whole, new inclusion of time, love and energy....

So often a first child is greatly anticipated and eagerly awaited. So precious, so tiny, such an adventure! Make no mistake, though, subsequent children will need a whole, new inclusion of time, love and energy, and if the family is already stretched to the max with responsibilities and demands, it might be a better idea for a lone chick to be provided with a cluster of cousins and friends and a few BFF’s who can act as chosen brothers and sisters.

Bears thinking about….



http://More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

You might also enjoy "On Character Building." 

No comments:

Post a Comment