Tuesday, March 19, 2019

On Being Doubtful


About one thing I have no doubt…and that is that I will doubt! There are very few certainties in this life, so doubting can almost be considered a natural part of living. I had a wonderful friend who said, “to doubt is the beginning of wisdom,” which is probably quite right. Too much certainty keeps us from looking around the edges of our thought to see if there aren’t some niggling little notions we may not have considered before.

Doubt tells us we're alive...

As far as I am concerned, doubt tells us we are alive. It stimulates our search engines and causes us to be ready for whatever newness comes along. In some respects a good dose of doubt can slow down the aging process, which has to be good. As long as we are living longer and longer, we may as well keep cooking on all burners, and I think the unsettling notion of doubt helps with that. The 17th Century French philosopher, Rene’ Descartes, famously said, cogito ergo sum: I think therefore I am. He could just as well have said “I doubt therefore I am,” and he would have hit the nail on the head!

One of our human features...

Actually there is little reason to worry about doubtfulness. It is one of our human features and does help to keep us looking forward to what we may not have figured on.

I say, welcome doubt! There is a place at the table for you!


http://More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

You might also enjoy "On a New World." 

No comments:

Post a Comment