Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On Cynicism


I believe that cynicism is one of the worst communicable diseases known to man. There are lots of ways in which people can sicken and die; we all know that, but not all have to rob the body of life and sustenance. Some can reduce the soul to ruin as well, and one of these is cynicism. How do I know? Because at times I am in danger of catching the very contagion I swore I never would. At times I am in danger of throwing up my hands over yet another disappointment of many of the same. I hear myself wanting to say, “well, that’s the way it is,” when it is by no means inevitable. I have just stopped feeling the springiness I used to rely on when starting something over again.

It can creep into the heart...

Cynicism is sneaky, sinister and nasty. It can creep into the heart when we are not noticing, when we are down and disheartened. It used to be considered the older person’s plaint, but that’s not so any more. Many young people now have the what’s-the-use look that was once reserved for the flattened-out hopes and dreams of those more experienced at losing out. It takes a lot to hang in there when you feel the deck is stacked against you. This mind set may not be a spiritual truth, but enough disappointment and short-circuited actions can obscure that light.

...Thoughts that cannot take wing...

There is no juice in cynicism, only hard, unmalleable thoughts that cannot take wing and brains that wither with discontent. When that happens there is no surprise when things go wrong, when once more there is betrayal of trust instead of fulfilled action that brings about something life affirming.

Say yes...say yes...say yes...

Still, there is that place in us that can say no to lifelessness and yes to a new day. Cynicism is not incurable; it does not infect everything unless we sit back and allow it to do so. I am remembering my old promise to myself. Otherwise the infant called possibility will not see the light of day. I’m practicing again…. say yes…say yes…say yes…

No comments:

Post a Comment