Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Count me in!





      Who would have imagined that tweets could have unsettled and upset millions of people? Who would have thought that we, as a large group of people, would be so actively thinking about a nation’s wellbeing that we would normally leave to elected officials? But, then, here we are! And it’s probably good that we find ourselves where we are because we so easily take our democratic processes for granted. We usually trust the processes, if not always elected officials, but now many of us perceive the processes themselves to be imminently corruptible…and we’re scared…helped along by a hyper-excited media, complete with vocal foot soldiers…but scared nonetheless. Could a deeply partisan plutocracy actually call shots that would affect an entire country?

Count me in!......

So now that my nascent, patriotic energies are aroused…count me in! I’m not quite sure for what… I’m not in a position to run out and do marches or sit-ins, but I’ve got my voice, and I’ve got my pen, and I’ve got my vote. I feel that, as the year advances, many opportunities will show up where even the meek and moldy among us will find a venue that calls to our hearts.

The Midnight Ride...

In some respects, I feel as if I’m reproducing within myself in a tiny way, a flash back to the midnight ride of Paul Revere, complete with “One if by land, and two if by sea!” Crazy sounding? Maybe. But whatever it is, count me in!

http://More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

You might also enjoy "On Disappointments." 

No comments:

Post a Comment