Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On Reading the Obits


The late comedian and actor, George Burns, lived to be 100 years old. During the latter part of his life, he created a whole, new career using old stories and jokes. One he loved to tell was…”When I wake up, I read the obits. If I see that my name is not there, I smile, have a cup of coffee and go back to bed.” Great joke fodder for a guy who used his years well. Margaret Truman, daughter of a U.S. President and engaging mystery writer during the last half of her life, gave an emphatic viewpoint to one of her book characters. One of her crime solver’s mother was a lady well up in years. When her son asked how she was, her unfailing answer was, “Wonderful. I got up this morning, took a breath, and it worked. What more could I ask for?”

What more indeed?

What more indeed! I’m not sure how the young rolling out of bed think about the morning. I suspect they take it for granted, even though some rolling outs may be complicated with too little sleep, too big a hangover, etc. But I can tell you how those of us with more physical past than future see the morning. I’m like Truman’s character. I look for that fine, big awakening breath, rub the sleep out of my eyes and figure I’m good to go for another day. This is by no means a fatalistic approach; it is a simple admiration of the hours stretched before me and a consistent expectation of God’s wonderful surprises. Who knows what the day will hold? And I’m not willing to miss any of it!

A few more jokes...

Burns had it right too. There is something encouraging about not finding your name among the day’s obituaries. Makes you think that there is still learning to gather in, things to accomplish, healing to bring…and maybe a few more jokes yet to tell!





2 comments:

  1. I have a similar view. When asked how I am, I say, I woke up this morning. That is a good thing. It could also me waking up as in enlightened, but I don't use it that way. I'm also reminded of some lyrics from a song that was poplular when I was much younger. When I woke up this morning, you were on my mind. I liked that song. Thanks, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waking up, however we may view it, is a good thing, wouldn't you say? Consider the alternative!

    ReplyDelete