Tuesday, November 19, 2013

On Doubt

About one thing I have no doubt…and that is that I will doubt. At one time in my foolish youth I believed there would be a time when I would be so certain of myself and what I know that I would be doubt free. Looking back I now say to myself… how silly was that! In fact I had a wonderful old friend who said, “to doubt is the beginning of wisdom.” She was so right. I think she understood that doubt-free people usually engage in my-way-or-the-highway thinking. Their certainty was more curse than blessing since there was no room for shared opinions…or growth, which usually accompanies uncertainty.

Doubt tells us we're alive...
Doubt tells us we’re alive. The 17th Century French philosopher, Rene’ Descartes, is known for his famous cogito ergo sum: I think therefore I am. He could just as well have said, “I doubt therefore I am.” Doubt and complacency just do not exist in the same space; the complacent person does not ask questions; the doubtful person is full of them. Often some think that some kind of weakness is associated with people who experience lack of certitude. I think that this is really unfortunate since uncertainty is often the way into new awareness. Any of us who have explored religious or spiritual systems surely have come across this. The look into something that cannot be quantified, weighed, measured or completely rationalized…which is usually true of queries into belief systems…is found to be overlaid with elements that cannot really be factually verified. The believer chooses to believe, even though he cannot prove his inner experiences nor transfer them to another person. I think that enough personal, spiritual senses over time and practice enable the believer to live with the glimmers of doubt that can arise. He makes his peace with the god that does not perform on cue and moves into hundreds of little assurances that can almost go unnoticed. When dealing with what cannot be fully known, one has to learn how to pay attention!

Any real certainties?
Are there any real certainties that we can count on? I think so, as long as we are not asking people or situations to do what we want them to do. I, for instance, have no doubt that my family loves me. We have grown through a lot of difficult situations, and we are all still willingly on scene. I do doubt that they always like me at times since I am still infected with the parental disease called intrusiveness. I do meddle in their lives. Fortunately they are wise, forgiving and know how to love. I do not doubt this.

A little island of certainty
As it turns out, a little island of certainty can go a long way in navigating a sea of doubtful situations. Love is one of these islands. Self love is the most durable, but a few folks at our sides along the way make for a good GPS system.

No comments:

Post a Comment