Tuesday, January 27, 2015

On One Day at a Time

     


            One day at a time…
            One day at a time…
            O, Lord, for my sake
            Please help me to take
            One day at a time…

I remember vividly the words of this old hymn, and how wise its cautions are.  I know also that AA people at every level abide by this premise all the time…This day I will not drink…This day I will not use drugs…This day I will not overeat.  They practice restraint; they practice thoughtfulness; they practice true regard for themselves, and almost as important, they realize the wisdom of not “borrowing trouble” in advance.
        
The spontaneity of the day's unknowns
    Yes, we plan for the future as much as we are able, and then we let things unfold as they will.  To live by too many “what ifs” only keeps us from enjoying the moment before us which really is the only moment we have.  We don’t have to cast our fates to the winds and be blown along by every gust and swirl, but we can enjoy the spontaneity of the day’s unknowns with a clear eye.
          
Is the Universe a friendly place?...
  Being a control freak I put my day in order because my natural inclinations and my responsibilities require it.  I have also learned that one cannot have much ease without trust that life itself will be revealed in the best possible ways without the need for constant “tweaking.”  It raises just too much angst to think otherwise.  There are those fortunate folks who seem to navigate their days effortlessly.  I wish I were one of them.  In the meantime I learn; I practice saying yes to Einstein’s question:  Is the universe a friendly place?, and I simply remind myself to look for the good because I’m the only one who’ll find it for myself.

       
     Each day holds it gifts…and its challenges, and so I’ll take them…one day at a time.




More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment