Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Little Stuff

    I live in one of the cities where governmental lockdowns are in place for Covid protection, so I have few options right now of getting around and seeing others. Thus I find myself taking walks by myself and finding a new kind of awareness. Where once I would have breezed by our Bay Area Rapid Transit stations and noticed nothing, now, at my slower pace I see that the transit maintenance staff has created small, park-like areas at the stations. Now it is easy and peaceful to pass through areas that are green with native plants and spreading tree limbs that expand in a kind of welcome.

    Incidental lovelies that happen along my way...

    During these walks, I am not fully engaged in serious thought, but I am charmed by the lovingly-groomed places that are designed as calm and beautiful respites for the transit user. I am glad to be aware of “little stuff,” of incidental lovelies that happen along my way. It is another appropriated wisdom for me to be reminded of the inherent gifts that life offers every day, gifts that in our usual busyness, we often miss.

    There is healing in the small stuff...
    

 I am certain that there is healing in the little stuff, in the mind-settling vistas that happen along our ways all the time if we but notice. A small park, a gathering of birds ready to fly, a dog area where dogs may stop and play… these happen along the path regularly. Let’s not miss them but invite them.

More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment