Friday, July 5, 2013

On Marriage and Families

During the first half of 2013, two monumental events took place; both were life changing for the world. The first one involved the voluntary resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, who was on hand to see his successor, Francis I, chosen. Not for six hundred years had a pope resigned, and that departure was not done willingly. One can only imagine what the ramifications of such an act may break open for the church in the 21st Century.

Possible for gay people to marry

The second event was equally important to Americans, for a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court made it possible for gay people to marry, at least in some parts of the country. This decision, hoped for by many, feared by others, was surely ground breaking for gay couples and their families, and it spoke of the evolution of many Americans, especially the young, who realized that love ultimately cannot be weighed, measured, categorized, denied or declared unconstitutional. Love cannot be regulated by religious doctrine, and those who love someone of the same sex can no longer be considered second-class citizens.

Both fathers came in tuxedos

The effects on gay families is inestimable. I have always felt that children cannot have enough people loving them, whatever the mix of their family communities, and children of gay families are not loved any less than those in heterosexual families. I became very aware of this when I was still a pulpit minister. About twenty years ago two gay partners came to me to ask if I would christen their adopted daughter. The tiny girl was related to one of the men by a remote blood connection, and so the adoption was happily agreed to. We were all excited, including me, for this was the first time I have ever done such a ceremony. In fact the day was so important to the two fathers that, not only was their little girl dressed beautifully, but both fathers came in tuxedos! It was that monumental…for them and their extended families.

The unthinkable no longer lives...only the unusual

I never questioned love again; I never questioned devotion, and I never let myself settle into a mindset where the unthinkable lived, only the unusual. This is where I think many of us find ourselves today, in a place where the unthinkable no longer lives in the world of marriage and families, only the unusual.

You may also be interested in reading "On It Is What It Is"

No comments:

Post a Comment