Tuesday, January 7, 2014

On My Wish List for 2014



            This is the time of year when we sometimes make resolutions for the new year. Instead I have a wish list, which means that I’m pushing dreams around. It is not an acceptance list (although I wish it were ), which would mean that realistic possibilities                                    might lie ahead.

  • · I wish that the very wealthy could be satisfied with a little less, and the low wagers could aim for more. I don’t think of this as redistribution; I see it as a question of fairness. I wish that the Gates Foundation mandate could be embraced by all: Everyone deserves the chance to live a healthy, productive life. 

  • · I wish the U.S. Congress would remember why they were elected to office…to do the peoples’ business…and give up the group march to self destruction. 

  • · I wish we understood the moral limits of what money can buy and let it become the medium of exchange it was meant to be rather than an entity unto itself. When enough money can buy just about anything or anyone, nothing will be holy any longer. 

  • · I wish we could remember that fun is basically free. Little kids know this. Why don’t we? 

  • · I wish we understood love more. I wish we understood that it is more than what Joseph Campbell once called, “the attractions of the organs for each other” and more about a spiritual recognition of one another. Whatever we may believe about God, I think it can be found in love. 

  • · Finally, I wish we could be kind. I wish we could show respect. I wish we were less combative and not so quick with our mouths when dealing with differing opinions. Otherwise what does peace on earth, good will to all mean? 


 
                             Here’s to a healthy, productive 2014 for all!


No comments:

Post a Comment