Tuesday, April 1, 2014

On Wash and Wear People






        I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how we tend to treat the people in our lives. There is no question that some people and circumstances mean a lot, and so they get the best of us. Not always forever, though, sometimes only as long as they hold particular meaning. Part of my concern is that we are becoming wash-and-wear people, very casual, only doing what is necessary, so busy sometimes that quiet things, important things can fall right out of our brains without our noticing. I like casual; I like easy going. In fact there are certain four-letter words I carefully avoid using, one of which is I-R-O-N. The only trouble with this is that I am forgetting what it means to be snazzily dressed, every crease sharp and clear. Worse…I am wondering now if I am taking a synthetic attitude to the people in my life. Are some becoming expendable? Since some cannot do for me what they once did, am I letting them slide away?

What's important, and what's not....
   
       With some regularity we probably should stop and think…what’s important and what’s not? I finally called an old friend I had been thinking about for weeks. What took me so long? Am I letting some old treasures, people who have fashioned loving structures with me, fall off the cliff?

Today needs us.....

      Today needs us, yes, but where we are today rests on the shoulders of our yesterdays, when we were not quite as casual as we are now, when building, loving and creating took us up and wonderful things happened because we were all in it together. Things don’t stay the same, but vital raw materials do, and living fabric can take new forms all over again.

Pick up the phone....

       Pick up the phone; touch the iron to a wrinkled relationship or two. Some things are more important than being hung out on the line to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment