Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Ode to Roxanne






As I write this blog I am looking at my great, green plant as it hangs from a ceiling hook in front of my bay window. Actually I should say that she hangs from a hook because my great green is a female. Named Roxanne. She is an oak leaf ivy with spreading, many-fingered leaves that are now beginning to cascade downward toward the floor. When I saw Roxanne at the nursery a few months ago, I knew she was female, neat, tidy, newly planted, and she silently sighed, “Buy me.” So I did, and I also did something I've never done before, at least not in the world of green things. I gave her a name. Roxanne seemed just right for such a youthful, well-formed little thing.


Bring on the good stuff...

At this point Roxanne has grown to three times her original size. Who wouldn’t with so much ambient light and loving care? Any other kind of female would be upset at such a rapid increase in fatness, but not Roxanne. She just keeps silently commanding, “Bring on the good stuff.” We have become good buddies, Roxanne and I. I talk to her every day, tell her how beautiful she is, and she just smiles…and grows.

They will thrive on our bossy care...

The reader might well ask: Is there any practical or even subtle value to this blog? Maybe not, but on the other hand, it does let those of us devoted to control know that there are some living things we can absolutely have our way with...green plants, for one thing.  Green plants will not give us any flack, no matter what we do. They will not get all upset because we are "in their space."  They will not have a hissy fit because we are smothering them.  Actually if we really know what we are doing, they will positively thrive on our bossy care on their behalves. They resist nothing and reward all and who else will do that? (Roxanne, by the way, is a who, not a what.)

Conrol freaks, take heart!

So…control freaks, take heart! There are some things we can utterly control without leaving behind a trail of broken bodies. Just ask Roxanne.


More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment