Tuesday, July 7, 2015

On New Technology



Our grandson is the best kind of computer nerd. Not only is he very skilled in what he does, he also happily keeps his grandmother from falling into a 20th Century sinkhole! I can operate technologically enough to work with e-mails and create manuscripts, but the increasing number of new, electronic gadgets frequently leaves me at a loss. Is it necessary to be up and running on every new toy that Apple puts out? Can’t I just wear a watch that simply tells time without beaming me into everything that’s happening in the tech world? And whatever happened to hand-written notes?

Staying current...

Seriously, though, I know of the importance of staying current and inviting new knowledge. Even I cannot now imagine how much more effort it would take to work without a computer. And I do feel sorry for the world of organized religion which becomes more and more undone by the encroaching world of scientific knowledge and modernism and left behind by increasing numbers of young people.

"settled" knowledge...

Still, I miss being able to rest on what used to be thought of as “settled” knowledge. How much biological content we must now rethink, how many more connections we must embrace in simply trying to live together as human beings. It is much more difficult to just sit and talk over a cup of coffee when we can whip out our phones and text a message without ever uttering a sound. I have to wonder if we aren’t in danger of walling ourselves off now that so much communication can be done so impersonally.

Bring on skype...

However I am not yet willing to become the older relative that the kids indulgently wait for, the one who taught them to drive who must now ask them to help translate my iPhone to me. So…bring on skype; bring on the apps so that I can order a pizza without talking to a living soul.

More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

You might also like "On Brailling"



More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon


http://tinyurl.com/kxsb47c

2 comments:

  1. Totally, the actual write-up is really the very best in that will worthwhile matter. I really fit in jointly with your results and certainly am going to keenly seem to be toward your own upcoming improvements. Just telling many thanks could not only be sufficient, for your exceptional http://123essay.org/ readability as part of your composing.I'll use this information to provide term papers for my friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made some good points there. I checked on the web for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website. barracudaforums

    ReplyDelete