Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Making it Through the Rain



I like all kinds of music, but I have to admit that I’m not very hip. I enjoy the sentimentalist composers like Barry Manilow, especially his allegorical melody, “I made it through the rain,” an obvious ballad about surviving difficult times.

A soft landing...

Maybe it’s good to have a pleasant allusion when bad times are upon us. Maybe we can find a soft landing when tears and hard tidings overwhelm. Maybe it’s good to feel we slogged through something that bowed and bloodied us but came through “protected” and “respected.” Perhaps the dreamer in us has the ways of making it through rainy days.

A small spot of bliss...

Funny, isn’t it, how a compelling song can run around in our brains and somehow point us in the right direction. There is a starting-over place in us that is always available, but sometimes it is so covered over by dismay and disappointment that we need a little light along the way. I’ll take whatever help I can find, and if a small spot of bliss shows up in a song, I’ll grab it!

I always want to make it through the rain because somehow, some day, there will be sunshine again, and I wouldn't want to miss it!


http://More Essays About Everything is now available on Amazon

You may also enjoy "On the Long Stretches."






No comments:

Post a Comment